Wednesday, August 6, 2008

If They Say No, It Means a Thousand Times No!

Or How To Not Drive Yourself Insane With Your Children's Music

You've probably noticed by now how ... insipid ... kid's music seems to be. And if you haven't? Dude, you've got your iPod cranked way too loud - you'll be deaf by 50 and your kids are playing in the street. Granted, this solves the problem of having to listen to the kid's music but I'm thinkin' you're probably not looking for that kind of permanency.

So, I've got two recordings (which for the sake of differentiating between a recording of an individual selection and a collection of selections, so to speak, I will call an album, dated though the term may be) to suggest over the next couple days - the first is alt group They Might Be Giant's No! (which I'll review below), the second Sandra Boynton (yes, the Sandra Boynton of the fluffy cats, barking dogs, and lonely hippopotami fame)'s Dog Train - both of which provide a little blessed relief from unending verses featuring purple Osmond-toothed dinosaurs.

No! is actually one of 3 (I think, there could be more) They Might Be Giant's children's albums (the others being Here Come the ABCs and Here Come the 123s). The songs are ridiculous, true, but that's their appeal. These aren't songs written for what an adult wants kids to want - these are songs that appeal to kids on their level and, thank God, to we "adults" who haven't progressed much further.

No pleas for world peace or sermonizing here. From the creeptastic vibe of "The Edison Museum" to the plainly silly but oddly appealing "I Am A Grocery Bag", some of this album might appeal more to older children but my nearly 3 year old requests "Violin" (a very stream-of-consciousness recital of completely disparate objects), "In the Middle In the Middle In the Middle" (great vocals by Robin Goldwasser) , and "The House at the Top of the Tree" (beats the heck out of A Hole in the Bottom of the Sea) every time we get in the car and I've caught her singing "...one quarter of George Washington's head..." around the house - which is damn funny when you consider her (lack of) diction.

Honestly, I could do without "John Lee Supertaster" and she asks to flip by it but I think that's more a function of our respective ages than the song itself. "Robot Parade" is a favorite of hers though the anti-authoritarian bent underlying it escapes her I'm pretty sure (I hope!) and the mopy tones of "No!" make me laugh every time. I'm also hoping that the bedtime romp "Bed Bed Bed" rubs off on her soon! (Ok, so there is some propagandizing... not quite the same as sermonizing.)

One other thing... the songs are short. They say what they have to say and they stop. Good, bad, I don't know - but I know that kids don't get bored by them.

And now I think I need to go discover where they, indeed, make balloons and then sweep the kitchen floor because, unfortunately, I lost the "I Am Not Your Broom" battle.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Violin (lin, lin) is my personal favorite off that album, which was immensely popular around here a few years ago. You didn't mention that the CD is also a CD-ROM and is quite fun to explore in an artsy-fartsy kind of way, not a Nintendo kind of way.

Amanda said...

I will have you know that They Might Be Giants is not exclusively to be enjoyed by children! I quite like that ABCs album! E Eats Everything is the best song on it!

I think this means I'm one of those adults who hasn't progressed much further. :P

PeppyPilotGirl said...

Actually, I downloaded NO! from iTunes, Harriet - so I didn't have the pleasure of exploring the CD-ROM!

I've just ordered the ABCs and 123s CD/DVD combos so we'll definitely check those out!

Amanda, I fully support the nonprogression!! Let's all stay young forever!

Robin said...

One blog wasn't enough????

Anonymous said...

Peppypilotgirl,

Have you tried the new Barenaked Ladies' Snacktime album. We took with us on our road trip in July. I recommend over They Might BE Giants' NO!

But the best has to be Captain Bogg and Salty's Pegleg Tango. It's the best children's album ever. Heck, ˆ have seen them four times in concert with the fifth time come up in two weeks.

Check out their video at the address below:

http://www.boggandsalty.com/hold/pieces-of-8ight-video

PeppyPilotGirl said...

@Robin - since when is one project *ever* enough for me?

@RD - I was looking at that BNL album on Amazon just the other day. Looked good - waiting to replenish the music budget first. Will definitely check out the other. Tx!

PPG

Jade said...

TMBG It's Time for Bed is very good - short and sing-along with a book. It helped us with bedtime for a good while... Gayle loved reading along and even now... when it's time for bed and she seems pouty I'll start singing "it's time for beeeeeed! Bed bed bed bed beeeeeeeeed (dum da dum dum da dum) and she'll smile, sing with me... and then go to bed.

Eric Ode is also quite fun. He is a local guy up here... we saw him during a field trip a couple years ago and bought his CD "Grandpa's Truck". Sort of Raffi-esque, but I love singer/songwriter stuff so I'm OK with it.

Robin said...

Try Raffi.

smileymamaT said...

Well, neat-o. I don't recall having good stuff like that when mine were really little, but I do recall them liking the Elmo-palooza CD. Rosie O'Donnell has a thoughtful duet with Elmo, if I recall correctly, and Steven Tyler sings the Sesame Street favorite "I Love Trash"... even I could listen to that over and over!